Once completed the modernization works carried out in the first train of the S2000 to rehabilitate, the tests (static and dynamic) were started. In order to guarantee that the composition of the rail cars 2001, 2002, 2301, 2003 and 2004 could enter into service with the required levels of safety and comfort.
This phase has been successfully completed in June 2016 and is already on line 3 of Barcelona metro. The remodeling has meant technical changes, aesthetics and equipment.
In summary, the following is a list of the changes made:
- Carbody: oxidation repair in the carbody and painted/vinyled of the exterior.
- Roof: works to improve waterproofing.
- Installation of new equipment: cabin air conditioning, video surveillance system and event recorder system.
- Interior design: general restyling by changing the seating layout (longitudinal seating arrangement), Handles and screens; Change of interior lighting to LED technology, implementation of zone for Persons with Reduced Mobility (PMR), Improvement of the extinguishers location and replacement of floors.
- New intercommunication corridors to facilitate their maintenance.
- Electrical installation: replacement of the entire relay system in the electrical cabinets facilitating its maintenance, new extra wiring for future needs, new headlights using LED technology.
- Under frame: replaced to a new, more powerful drive converter and re-distribution of the boxes under frame.
- Bogies: improvement and replacement of pneumatic and electrical connections.
This train will serve as a prototype of the rest of the trains of the same series to be rehabilitated during the next years.
Reforming trains from 20 to 25 years old is a common practice in the management of Railway mobile material, because at a moderate cost can extend the life of vehicles and match them to the most modern.