Once completed in March 2016 the works of overhaul and modernization to the two trains of the Funicular de Montjuic (3 rail cars / train), the works of adjustments and tests of operation of the new equipment and functionalities were initiated in the TMB ‘s facilities, in order to guarantee that the composition could enter into service with the required levels of safety and comfort.
This phase has been successfully completed in April 2016 and the rehabilitated trains already serve the Funicular de Montjuic facilities.
In summary, the following is a list of the modifications made:
- Cleaning of the oxidations present in the carbody and frame.
- Revision of all cracks in the frame.
- Disassembly, overhaul and assembly of interior elements (seats, handles, screens, flooring, coverings …)
- Replacement and assembly of all new electric and pneumatic brake system in interior rail cars, under frame and intercommunication between vehicles.
- Installation of front cameras, video surveillance system and public-address system.
- Design, construction and assembly of new driving desks.
- Installation of an anti-locking system on passenger access doors.
- Painted the exterior of the vehicle.
The long technical stop of the Funicular is due to, after 23 years of service (the inauguration was the year 1992), having exceeded 22,500 hours of operation, it had to perform the extraordinary maintenance tasks and updating that provides the rules of transport by cable.